|Sub-Category||Diesel and Electric|
Where to Buy
Search for this item on eBay
Bachmann 31-427A: Class 411 4 Car EMU BR Blue & Grey
The British Rail Class 411 (4CEP) electrical multiple units were built at Eastleigh works between 1956 and 1963. The units were a development of the Southern Railway 4COR design, built in 1937. They were built for the newly electrified lines in Kent and were designed using Mark 1 coaches as a basis. A total of 133 units were built, as two different types. The standard units contained passenger seating only with 111 units built in several batches. The 4BEP was similar to the standard unit but contained a buffet car in place of a second class open trailer. 22 of the 4BEP units were built.
The first four units were initially used from 1956 on Central Division services. Further deliveries replaced steam operation on Southeast services from London to Margate, Ramsgate, Dover and Folkestone. During the late 1970s and early 1980s, British Rail recognized that the 4CEP fleet was in need of refurbishment. This was carried out at BR's Swindon Works. Refurbishment included moving the guard's compartment from both the motor cars to one of the intermediate trailers. Many of the 4BEP fleet were converted to standard units, since the requirement for buffet cars had declined.
Post Privatization, most of the units saw service with Connex South Eastern (later South Eastern Trains). Connex South Central operated some units between 1995 and 1998 on the London Bridge to Brighton services. By 1998 South West Trains had a fleet of 29 standard 4CEP units. The first unit was withdrawn in 2002 and the last in 2005. Several vehicles have been preserved.