|Sub-Category||Diesel and Electric|
Where to Buy
£80.08 at OnTracks
Search for this item on eBay
Bachmann 32-481: Class 40 D369 BR Green Centre Head Code
See it in action
The Class 40 (or 'Forties') may be regarded as the first successful British main line diesel locomotive. Originally designated Type 4 the original order consisted of a fleet of ten 2000 bhp express locomotives by the BTC under the Modernisation Plan. Two hundred locomotives were subsequently constructed between 1958 and 1962 numbered in the range D200-D399.
The Class was divided in allocation between the Eastern, London Midland and Scottish Regions, the distinctive '1Co-Co1' wheel arrangement giving high route availability. Their genesis, in terms of mechanical function (but not external appearance), can be traced to the 10000-10001 early diesels of BR (LMR) and 10201-10203 of BR (SR), in latter in particular. All, with the exception of twenty, saw construction at English Electric Vulcan Foundry in Newton-le-Willows.
Twenty-five of the Class received names. Numbers D200-D323 had train identification discs fitted; corner route-indicator boxes superseded this, which displayed a 4-character reporting system. In early 1961, when nose doors became obsolete D346-D399 had single, centre-mounted route indicator boxes at the time of construction.
The Forties were especially well-liked machines with their crews and enthusiasts alike, remaining in service until obsolescence in 1985. Several examples of the Class have escaped scrapping by private enthusiast groups.
Two hundred Class 40 Diesel Electric Locomotives were built by English Electric for BR London Midland Region, Eastern Region and Scottish Region between 1958 and 1962, although their 'origin dates back to Number 10000, the first British Main Line diesel-electric loco, that emerged from Derby Works on 8th December 1947.