|Sub-Category||Diesel and Electric|
Where to Buy
Search for this item on eBay
Bachmann 32-783DS: Class 37/0 37049 BR Blue Cut Nose Split Head Code-DCC Sound
When the initial 1955 dieselisation plan was announced, no locomotives were envisaged in the 1700 hp range. Consequently the class 37's were introduced in 1960 as an intermediate loco between the 1250 hp Type 2s and the 2000 hp Type 4s. Apart from a variation of bogies (changing from castings to fabricated sections), removal of steam heating boilers from some locos, conversion of water tank to extra fuel tanks on some W.R. units, and fitting of dual vacuum/air brakes, few alterations have occurred outwardly to the locos since introduction.
When initially introduced, the E.R. put them on Norwich to Liverpool Street and other Great Eastern line services, and ran them alongside their stablemate Class 40s. The next batch went to Hull and Tinsley (Sheffield) for working passenger and freight duties, including the Hull to Doncaster portion of the 'Yorkshire Pullman'.
Mid 1965 saw pairs of Class 37s working experimental high-speed runs from Paddington to Plymouth, including exceeding 100 mph on several occasions. During 1968, one loco was used to test the Westinghouse air brake system, hauling B.R. Ferry vans, the longest train ever to run on B.R.
When introduced, the locomotives were finished in B.R. green livery with a grey roof, with small yellow nose panel, subsequently covering the full nose, and the second B.R. symbol and full yellow end was applied. Later, freight sector grey livery was applied to allocated locos, including appropriate logo for traffic conveyed. Some passenger locos carried Intercity Swallow livery. They also appeared in Loadhaul, Mainline and Transrail liveries in the lead up to Privatisation. Since 1997 they have carried a number of liveries including EWS.