Hornby R2995XS: BR 4-6-0 Black 5 Class - Weathered with DCC Sound

See it in action


Manufacturer's Description

The London Midland and Scottish Railway's mixed traffic, medium powered Class 5, 4-6-0 locomotives were designed by Sir William Stanier. These versatile locomotives were universally known as 'Black Fives'. Stanier, who had previously been with the GWR, realised there was a need for these larger locomotives and took inspiration from the GWR Hall Class. The locomotives shared similar cylinder arrangement, internal boiler design and 72 inch driving wheel diameters. The 'Black Fives' with their 6 feet driving wheels could attain speeds of around 90mph, making them ideal for passenger traffic.

Initially twenty were ordered and a further eighty from the Vulcan Foundry, with numbering starting from 5000. The first locomotive to be completely was actually engine No. 5020 in 1934 from the Vulcan Foundry, while engine No. 5000, the first Crewe built engine, did not emerge until 1935. The originals were built with domeless, straight throatplate boilers with low degree superheat. Besides this original order, the LMSR was responsible for the largest single locomotive order ever given by a British railway company to an outside contractor when it ordered a further 227 engines from Armstrong Whitworth & Co in 1936.

Wartime restrictions halted the construction of the Class with No. 5471, built at Crewe, being the last built for five years. In April 1943, production was restarted with the workshops at Derby, Crewe and Horwich producing batches every year until 1951. These post-war examples were built with George Ivatt's forward top-feed type boilers. There were a number of additional detail variations in the locomotives, during and after manufacture and in 1948, Ivatt made modifications to bearings and introduced Caprotti valve gear.

On the 4th August 1968, No. 45212 was honoured by hauling the last steam timetabled passenger train on British Railways. The following week, on the 11th August the final three 'Black Fives', worked the '15-guinea' special from Liverpool Lime Street to Carlisle, a 315 mile, almost eleven hour journey. Engines No. 44871 and No. 44781 double headed the start of the return journey from Carlisle, handing over to No. 45110 at Manchester Victoria, to herald out the age of British steam.

A total of 842 Class 5s were built between 1934 and 1952 of which only 5 were named, all after Scottish regiments, however some of the 18 preserved locomotives have since been named.

No. 45010, modelled here, was outshopped from Crewe on the 30th April 1935. The locomotive was first based at Shed 63A Perth South. Twenty eight years later No. 45010 which by then was allocated to Shed 67B Hurlford was withdrawn from service on the 31st August 1963 and cut up by Barnes and Bell of Coatbridge on the 29th February 1964.

  • Class: 5
  • Designer: Sir William Stanier
  • Entered Service: 1934
  • Number Built: 842
  • Purpose: Mixed Traffic
  • Wheel Configuration: 4-6-0
  • Dimensions: 256mm
  • Motor: 5 Pole Skew Wound. Loco Drive
  • DCC Ready: DCC Fitted
  • Livery: BR Black
  • Finish: Weathered

Special Features

  • Digital Sound Fitted
  • Sprung Buffers
  • Extensive Detail
  • DCC Decoder Socket in Tender
  • Brake rods
  • Sliding cab roof hatch
  • Loco drive
  • NEM Couplings
  • Tender Detail

Reviews

We don't have any reviews of this model yet.

Why not be the first to write one?